Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Oyster Bay Sauvignon Blanc 2007

This has been one of my favourites all summer. Crisp, clean and flavourful, it begs to be sipped sitting on the deck on a warm August night. I believe it's vegan, though I haven't yet confirmed this.

New Zealand's Marlborough region is charmed with hot sunny days and cool nights. Lots of fresh water and fertile soil, combined with winemakers who are happy to let nature take its course, has led to the development of some of the best Sauvs in the world.

This one is typical of the NZ style: aromas of asparagus, lemon, minerals and grass give a good hint of the crispness to come. And it comes through. Mouthwatering and intense, there's a lovely light sweetness toward the finish, like a slightly tart orange. Delicious!

Against all advice, I prefer to serve this one well chilled. I find it's aromas and flavours still come through, and the chilly crispness makes it very refreshing.

No comments: